Director of Youth Ministries
YOUTH MINISTER POSITION OVERVIEW
Sharon Baptist Church
19002 Gordon Cooper Dr. Shawnee, Ok 74801
Director of Youth Ministries
Status: Full-time HOURS: 40 Hours per week
General Purpose of Position: To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision: The Youth Minister reports to the Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Pastor, in cooperation with the Personnel Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the YM’s performance. The YM will be responsible and subject to Sharon Baptist Church policies, with beliefs and teachings consistent with Southern Baptist Doctrine.
Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Staff Meetings, Sunday Morning Service, Sunday Evening Service and Wednesday Evening Youth Meeting.
The Primary Task: There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministries at all levels. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
-love youth where they are
-encourage youth in developing their relationship with God
-provide them with opportunities for nurturing and growth
-challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and in the world
1. Be an advocate for youth and educate them in the Word.
2. Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of teaching, group building, worship, discipleship, mission, outreach, camps and retreats.
3. Mentor youth and adult volunteers in developing their leadership skills.
4. Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programs and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities for the youth.
5. Recruit, train, and oversee volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
6. Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
7. Coordinate Biblical Education curriculum for youth (grades 7-12) and recruit teachers to help.
8. Coordinate and occasionally teach discipleship training classes in partnership with sponsors and parents.
9. Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents.
10. Be available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
11. Work with and encourage the gifts and talents of the youth to serve the Lord (Music and Skits).
12. Ensure a Safe Environment policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
13. Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the Church.
14. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
15. Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
Youth Minister Qualities:
Spiritual gift of teaching/able to relate biblical lessons to real life
Previous youth ministry experience
Comfortable around the youth; loving, caring, and approachable
Not afraid of talking through uncomfortable topics yet staying above reproach
Willing to make the youth feel loved as an individual by mailing birthday cards, cards of encouragement, ect
Willing to set and maintain expectations